Tuesday 18 August 2015

Anxiety

Hello! 
Today I decided to talk about a matter that is quite personal to me but is also something that I know many people suffer from in everyday life. Anxiety. 

"A feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease about something". As someone who suffers from it on a daily basis, I want to share the past and present experience I've had with it incase it helps or makes someone more knowledgeable about this mental health illness. 

First of all, I feel as though people with anxiety often get labelled as 'stupid', 'pathetic' 'weak' i've even heard 'cute'. Let me just address the fact that anxiety is none of those things and suffering from it makes you no different to anyone Else, it just alters the way your mind perceives things. 

I'm not entirely sure when I begun suffering from anxiety because as a child I wasn't overly confident but I wasn't shy either. The worst point for me was probably between years 3-6 (age 8-11).When I was younger my anxiety occurred mostly at school: I was surrounded by teachers that wouldn't know how to react about me getting upset about silly little things and would tell my parents I needed to sort it out and was over reacting. Which in all honesty looking back it probably was a bit pathetic but I was helpless in controlling my anxiety. 

I became overly anxious in minor circumstances and simply break out into tears, the worst part is you can't control when or where you get upset and you certainly can't hold back the tears like most people, your mind just builds up a barrier of situations and worst possible outcomes.

I guess the simplest way to explain it properly from my point of view is to give an example. I do a lot of dance and drama out of school so one example is being chosen for a particular role. I had a drama teacher that favoured particular students and they would always get the roles that everyone wanted and as a result I'd get upset. People that don't suffer from anxiety would be upset because they didn't get the role but, for me personally, my mind begins to think deeper into the situation and come up with reasons such as 'I wasn't good enough' or 'no one believed in me' and of course it was simply age and favouritism but, anxiety said otherwise. 

I'm now a few years older than I was and now I only find that I get anxious at school near exams. I sometimes get it in places such as airports because of the anticipation of going through security. 

I find now that explaining to people why your upset helps. However, I also feel at my age, where I'm among 15-16 year olds, it is harder to get away with sobbing in front of your friends and your friends become less understanding (It's hard to help if you don't understand the meaning of anxiety). 

Anxiety isn't something to worry about, but I hope  and some point everyone will be made aware of why each person reacts in their own way and that some people will get upset for unexplainable reasons. 
If you do see or hear of someone try and help them out or share advice there are many people that I know who suffer from anxiety who do blog posts such as these that are purely there to help you out.  If anyone has any quires or questions feel free to comment below I tried not to make this post too long so I am sure there are many more problems I should be able to answer below. Also maybe share your experience of anxiety and leave a link for me to read it below :) 


                                                            ♥Cayetana


  

No comments:

Post a Comment